Backpacking is a stunning yet unpredictable adventure. That’s why it is recommended that you go for the best multitool for backpacking. A backpacking multitool eliminates the need to carry many different tools.
Well, carrying many different tools has never been a good idea. And this is because it tends to weigh you down. It also makes tasks a little difficult since you have to look for that specific tool for the job. When you use a multitool, however, everything becomes easier.
A multitool consists of several essential tools that allow the user to tackle any job with ease. That said, we would like you to understand them better. So, go through the following reviews.
Check out Best Multitool for Backpacking Reviews
1. Hoffman Ritcher 13-in-1 Multitool (HR-100)Buy now from Amazon You will not be getting a single tool when you buy the Hoffman Ritcher 13-in-1 Multitool. Instead, you will be getting up to 13 great tools.
These include needle nose spring-loaded pliers, a large knife blade, bottle opener, Philips head screwdriver, medium slotted screwdriver, mini slotted screwdriver, small knife blade, a saw, metal file, ultra-safe locking mechanism, can opener, wire cutters, and a large slotted screwdriver.
The multitool is made of super tough all 440-stainless steel to enable it to last a year of use and even abuse. Despite having so many tools, this 13-in-1 multitool is compact. You will, therefore, be able to use it to fix and repair any household as well as to meet survival and camping needs.
It is also great for use as a self-defense device. The multitool comes with a bonus belt, which helps keep it within easy reach. The case is made of a tough 1000D nylon material; hence, it is equally strong.
2. Victorinox Swiss Army Huntsman Pocket KnifeBuy now from Amazon If you thought that the first product on this list had it all, you need to check the features of the Victorinox Huntsman Pocket Knife. To be precise, the multitool has up to 15 tools.
And these are a large blade, wood saw, small blade, multi-purpose hook (parcel carrier), corkscrew, scissors, can opener, toothpick, small screwdriver, tweezers, bottle opener, key ring, large screwdriver, reamer, and wire stripper.
The huntsman pocket knife comes with a lifetime warranty, and this is because it is made of stainless steel. Well, the manufacturer has not stopped there; it has gone an extra mile to encase the tool with polished red ABS scales. The weight of this pocket knife is 3.04 ounces, making the multitool great for backpacking.
Its length is 91mm (3.58 inches), and its height is .827”. Ideally, this knife features a compact design, which makes it great for nearly all outdoor activities.
3. Leatherman MUT EOD MultitoolBuy now from Amazon
We bring Leatherman into the picture because they go to extraordinary lengths just to make sure that you get a quality product that you can use for several years. Besides, Leatherman is known across the globe for their generous warranties.
For example, they have backed this particular multitool with an amazing 25-year warranty. As if that’s not enough, they have equipped the multitool with all the basic tools to avoid inconveniences when you are far away from home.
This means the multitool will help you accomplish your mission and maintain your field gear. The multitool is also compact, and, therefore, it will lighten kit, making things much easier when you have gone on a camping, backpacking or hiking trip.
It has several tools, including a large bit driver, pliers, carabiner/bottle opener, wire cutters, 8-32 cleaning rod/brush adapter, crimpers, C4 punch, knife, bronze carbon scraper, saw, bolt override tool, cutting hook, and hammer.
4. Leatherman Skeletool and KBX Combo PackBuy now from Amazon Like the Leatherman MUT EOD Multitool, this one comes with a 25-year limited warranty. This means you will buy it with confidence knowing that the manufacturer fully stands behind it. The combo pack has several tools, meaning you will have everything you need.
In addition, it weighs only 5 ounces to allow you to operate it with much ease. It also looks good despite carrying so many items. Since the manufacturer understands that outdoor situations may force you to use one hand only, it has made this combo pack one-handed operable.
You will, therefore, be able to operate and open the multitool with one hand. Ideally, you will be able to access even tools that are not accessible from outside. This innovative combo pack also comes equipped with a locking blade to let you cut with brimming confidence. It is no doubt a must-have for any outdoorsman.
5. WORKPRO Multi-Tool 15-in-1 Multipurpose PlierBuy now from Amazon Apart from buying this multitool for yourself, you can get it for others. After all, it makes a great gift for those who like outdoor sports, holiday gifts, and emergency gear kits.
The multipurpose plier comes with up to 15 tools, which include can opener, needle nose pliers, saw blade, regular pliers, scissors, wire cutters, Philips screwdriver, large knife blade, key buckle, bottle opener, wood/metal file, and medium slotted screwdriver, among others. With all these different types of tools, you will be able to use this multipurpose plier for fishing, hiking, camping, and survival need.
The device also makes a great weapon for self-defense. The material used to craft is stainless steel for maximum reliability and durability. Besides, the multipurpose plier features a compact and folding design, which allows you to carry it from place to place without much effort. Still on ease of carrying; the pocket knife comes with a bonus belt 1000-denier nylon case.
6. Leatherman Crunch Stainless Steel MultitoolBuy now from Amazon No indoor or outdoor job should frustrate you when you have the Leatherman Crunch Stainless Steel Multitool. Like the two Leatherman products we have reviewed earlier, this one is backed by a 25-year warranty to give you total confidence during purchase.
It has a compact size, and this makes it ideal for use on any outdoor adventure. It is also equipped with a lanyard ring, which keeps it within easy reach and ready for use. Moreover, Leatherman has designed this multitool with safety in mind. And they have achieved that by including all-locking features that keep every knife and tool locked when open, thereby, improving safety.
This multitool features many different pliers, screwdrivers, wire cutters, hex bit driver, wire stripper, files, serrated knife, bottle opener, pin vice, and ruler. That being said, you will have everything at your disposal to tackle any task you come across.
7. Victorinox Swiss Army Swiss Tool Spirit X Multi-toolBuy now from Amazon We think this multi-tool has one of the highest numbers of small tools. This is because it has up to 27 tools.
These are needle nose pliers, lock release, 2mm screwdriver, 10 individual springs, 3mm screwdriver, lanyard hole, wire cutter (for wires up to 40hrc), hard wire cutter, bottle opener, coupling for corkscrew, 6mm screwdriver, leather pouch, strong crate opener, multi-purpose hook, straight-edge blade, can opener, scissors, wire scraper/round cutter, metal file, wire stripper, wood saw, wire bender, reamer, isolation length cutter, Philips screwdriver, and chisel/scraper.
With all these 27 tools at your disposal, expect to take down any task. Although this multi-tool is a little heavier than other brands we have reviewed here, it is still very easy to carry around.
It weighs just 9.75 ounces and measures 1.24 inches high by 4.13 inches (105 millimeters) long. The multitool is made of stainless steel construction, which offers lasting durability for endless use.
8. Personalized Huntsman Swiss Army Knife by VictorinoxBuy now from Amazon Anything that Victorinox Swiss Army has made must be good. So, it is not surprising that the Personalized Huntsman Swiss Army Knife has made it to this list of the best products. The multitool comes equipped with a large blade, wire stripper, small blade, corkscrew, bottle opener with large screwdriver, and can opener with small screwdriver. It virtually comes with everything you need to make any DIY project a breeze.
The multitool is also equipped with tweezers, wood saw, scissors, multi-purpose hook, key ring, reamer, and toothpick. It is protected by a lifetime warranty to give you confidence in buying it knowing you are getting nothing but the best quality product. Furthermore, it has custom engraving to allow you to personalize it to your likeness.
Victorinox Swiss Army has never disappointed in producing premium quality products, and this multitool for backpacking justifies that.
9. Jekemy Multitool, Portable Folding Pocket KnifeBuy now from Amazon The number of people who buy from Jekemy has been rising since its establishment in 1998. And this is because it produces top quality items like this portable folding pocket knife. Well, the pocket knife is no ordinary knife. It has 9 tools in 1 and boasts up to 15 functions.
These 9 tools include hook remover, flat-nose pliers, double-sided nail file, large slotted bit, cutters/stripper, Philips screwdriver, ruler, bottle opener, fish scaler, carpenters saw, folding saw, slotted screwdriver, and can opener knife filer. The frame of this pocket knife is made of aluminum to make it strong without sacrificing the weight. Also, there is a stainless steel construction for superior resistance to rust.
The pocket knife is very versatile, and this makes it great for daily use as well as wildlife challengers. It has many different tools yet it only weighs 7.2 ounces and measures 6.3 inches.
Check Also: Best Grand Trunk Hammock
10. Bastex Multi-Purpose Pocket Plier Kit (14-in-1)Buy now from Amazon It is durable, it is rugged, and has up to 14 different tools. What else can stop this multi-purpose plier kit from making it to the top 10 best products?
With it, you will be able to open your bottles and cans; cut and re-string your guitar, and even prune in your garden. In other words, the multi-purpose pocket plier kit is willing to take on almost any task thrown at it. And this is because of the 14 different tools. Two of these tools are the built-in pocket blade and saw blade that will help you slice and dice.
The blades are also strong enough to thin, prune or cut a plant branch, vines, and flowers. Plus they can be used to cut all types of strings such as guitar string and fishing line. You will be able to use the kit with no worries knowing it is built with safety in mind.
Buyer’s Guide for the Best Multitool for Backpacking
The following factors are worth considering before buying a backpacking multitool.
The Number of Tools
It is how many tools in a multitool that will make you leave one for another. With that said, make sure that you only buy a backpacking multitool with the number of tools you will need. Ideally, you can consider a multitool with as many tools as possible because such multitools are very convenient.
A good multitool for backpacking is the one made of strong materials such as stainless steel or aluminum. But why sturdy materials? Well, it is recommended that you choose a well-built multitool because such multitools are capable of tackling any outdoor job without much fuss. They do not become blunt not to mention holding up well to everyday use or abuse.
Since a multitool is likely to have a number of sharp tools such as knives, it is highly recommended that you go for one made with safety in mind. And how do you know that a particular multitool for backpacking will not compromise your safety? It is simple; simply look for the one with locking mechanisms that lock dangerous tools, like knives, when opened.
Frequently Asked Questions
Last but not least, we have FAQs that are equally important.
Do multitools require cleaning?
To ensure smooth and proper functioning, it is important to clean your multitool on a regular basis.
Can multitools be used for hardcore tasks?
Multitools are mostly designed for small tasks such as camping and survival needs. However, there are others that are very strong and big enough to handle high-demanding tasks.
Do all multitools have knives?
Although most conventional multitools do not have knives, more than a few manufacturers are trying the best they can to make sure that their multitools have all types of tools, including knives.
Anyone planning to go on a backpacking trip should consider these multitools. Equipped with basic tools, the multitools listed here have what it takes to be relevant for any kind of job. In addition, they are well made with sturdy but lightweight materials for total dependability. We are certain that any that you will choose will make your outdoor adventures a breeze.